St. Mary Gate of Heaven Religious Education Program
Director: Mrs. Ann Farrell
Secretary: Mrs. Cynthia Flores
Telephone: (718) 849-9329
Office Hours: Monday-Thursday 9:00 AM – Noon
**Click here for the 2017-2018 Registration Form**
At St. Mary Gate of Heaven, our goal is to create a faith filled environment for our children to grow with Jesus. Our desire is for our children to recognize that their religion is an integral part of their lives and that religious education classes are not just classes they must attend in order to receive the sacraments. To do this, it is important that we all recognize that the sacraments we celebrate in the Catholic Church are not end products, but are a vital and formative element of our Christian lives.
Adults and high school students who need to complete their sacramental formation should contact Mrs. Farrell so that she can direct them to the appropriate parish program.
Religious education classes for elementary students (school grades 1-5) will be held on Tuesdays. Class will meet from 3:30 PM to 4:30 PM. The children will enter through the school auditorium (101 Ave entrance) and will be dismissed from the schoolyard on 104th St.
Religious education classes for junior high students (school grades 6-8) will be held on Wednesday evenings. Class will meet from 7:00 PM to 8:30 PM. Students will enter through the school auditorium (101 Ave entrance). No student will be allowed to walk home alone unless we receive a note signed by the parents allowing them to do so. Please arrange for an adult to pick up your child from the auditorium of the school at 8:30 PM.
If you have any questions concerning the Religious Education classes, please feel free to contact Mrs. Farrell at the Religious Education office between 9:00 AM and Noon from Monday through Thursday
Policies and Procedures
Classes for Grades 1-5 are on Tuesday afternoons from 3:30 -4:30 PM
Classes for Grades 6-8 are on Wednesday evenings from 7:00 – 8:30 PM
- Absences – If a student is going to be absent from class please call the office to let us know. Please call (718)849-9329 and leave the child’s name and grade.
- Excessive absences – Since children attend religious education classes only once a week, it is important that they are present each week. Excessive absences will result in the child repeating the grade
- Lateness– Students who are consistently late will receive a phone call from Mrs. Farrell to discuss the reason for these latenesses. It is for the child’s safety that he/ she arrive on time.
Mass attendance is mandatory.
- Each grade will get a Mass schedule for each month. The children must sign in on those Sundays. The children are expected to attend Mass each week, but are only required to sign in once a month.
- If your child is in a sacrament preparation class they must sign in each week.
In case of bad weather please call the Religious Education Office to see if class is canceled.
The Religious Education Fee is:
- $60.00 for one child
- $85.00 for two children
- $100.00 for three or more children